Tuesday, June 26, 2012

if you're sleeping and you know it clap your hands!

i don't have kids that say funny things, but i do have ben. he says funny things when he's awake, but even funnier things when he *thinks* he's awake.

lately, i've been staying up with the lamp on to read so i've been wide awake for these encounters. ben claims it's comforting to fall asleep with the light on, but i wonder if he doesn't sleep quite as well because he seems to sleep more "actively" when it's light. on this particular night, a while after he'd fallen asleep, ben lifted his head off the pillow a few inches and raised his arm straight in the air, moving it from side to side.
a: what are you doing?
b: mbfflmbelmmbbbffflelm
a: what?
b: i'm just making sure none of this stuff slides around.
a: oh. are you awake?*
b: <chuckles as if this is a silly question and nods assuredly>
a. where are you?
b: at the firm.
a: <very much amused> honey, we're in bed. there's nothing up there but air. are you sure you're awake?
b: <again, laughs as if this is a silly quesiton, rolls over and settles deeper into sleep>

a few weeks before that, he tried to steal my covers, claiming he "needed the documents." 

riiiiiight.


*it took me a while to learn that he will always answer "yes" when asked if he's awake, but i still ask anyway.

6 comments:

  1. Will doesn't talk in his sleep nearly as often as Ben seems to but a few month ago Will yelled in his sleep, "Get the faduchi!!" Made me laugh so I wrote it down. I asked him the next day what a faduchi was and he had no idea. I googled it and its either a financial group or an urban slang term that is inapproptiate for publication :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! will DID warn me about ben's "sleepwalking." looks like it might run in the family a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a family thing! lol Growing up I shared a room with your mother-in-law and she would have entire conversations with me until I realized she was sound asleep. Then I figured it was safe to ignore her. She had no memory of these talks the next day. And so it goes to the next generation......
    ~~~Aunt Wynne

    ReplyDelete
  4. aunt wynne, is it strange that i enjoy talking to him when he's asleep? it's like a game where everyone wins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie, it's not strange at all! I think it's pretty funny! I would talk to my sister for awhile, but I was pretty tired because this would happen in the middle of the night! I think somehow she'd wake me up....You can have some fun conversations that way! Enjoy! Now if you talk about sleepwalking....that's where I come in....lol
    ~~~Aunt Wynne

    ReplyDelete
  6. makes me giggle. james says some funny stuff too once in a while! it's fun to try and get them going while they are asleep.

    ReplyDelete